Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Favorite Hymn...

When my Lisa was an infant, I spent a lot of time rocking her and humming a particular tune. I had no idea what it was or where I'd heard it but it was "Lisa's Lullaby". When she was four, we changed churches, returning to the one in which we had been married and had attended until our son, Chris, was about two. During one of our very first services back in this church we sang the hymn, "Come Thou Fount". And it hit me. THAT is the song I'd been humming to Lisa throughout her babyhood! I had totally forgotten it from our first time attending that church (and it wasn't a hymn I'd grown up with) but somehow it had worked its way into my very being. It will always have a special place in my heart. Here are two very different versions of this lovely old hymn.

Fernando Ortega:





Sufjan Stevens:






Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Lisa Sharp said...

For some reason this is one of my favorite hymns. :)

magb48 said...

Thanks Deanna for sharing about your and Lisa's favorite Hymn! I too have always loved this hymn. It is a joy to read your post and feel your unique nature. I am leaving a note to let you know also that I am now able to follow your blog. I mentioned to you in the past I had a problem. Guess I fixed my user problem. Thanks for bringing this wondrous hymn to my remembrance again! Miles of smiles! Mary Anna a.k.a. Mary Ann on FB

Deanna said...

Lisa, can't imagine why. ;)

Mary Ann(a): Thank you for your comment. Glad you got the blog thing sorted out. I looked at your Blogger profile. Do you have a blog?

magb48 said...

No not at this time! I guess I feel I never have it together. Does this sound crazy just being honest. Have been having some health problems and trying to get diabetes under control. I want to do a blog only time will tell.

robert said...

It's amazing how hymns can stick in our consciousness like that. I've conducted services in nursing homes, and had Alzheimer patients in the group that seemed past the ability to speak. But when I sang one of their favourites from years gone by, they sang along! Amazing, and wonderful!

Deanna said...

Robert, I've witnessed that phenomenon, too. Back when I was working as a rehab nurse, I was tidying up the room of one of my patients who had had a stroke. She had very limited speech abilities and was also confused. I noticed the Bible sitting on her bedside table and felt compelled to ask her if she'd like me to read a bit to her. Her face lit up. I read a few familiar passages and then began to sing "Amazing Grace" to her. To my amazement, she began to sing along.

Deanna said...

Btw, Robert...do you have a blog? I went to your profile but all it has is a picture. I always like to take a look at the blogs of people who comment on my posts. :)