Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I guess I'm evil...

Apparently those who support certain progressive policies fall into one (or more) of the following categories: Stupid, Ignorant and Evil. I know I'm not stupid. Nor am I ignorant. Guess that leaves "evil".

Apparently it's evil to want my fellow-Americans to have access to health care. The fact that I'm willing to pay more in taxes to achieve this goal in no way diminishes my evil intent. Nope. I simply desire to see America destroyed. It's as simple as that. Or so I've heard.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with this little girl,
and others like her:





This adorable little 4 year old was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Fortunately there's a pretty good chance it can be cured but the medical costs will be high. Her father recently lost his job and her mother is self-employed. They have no health insurance. At a time when they shouldn't have to focus on anything other than helping their daughter get well, the threat of astronomical medical bills hangs over their heads.

My friends in Canada, England and France are incredulous that Americans have to worry about such things. I think it's wrong. Since we're throwing around the term "evil" I'll just be blunt and say that I believe the true evil lies within those who think nothing of spending billions of dollars on wars being fought for oil (don't kid yourself; "terror" is a smokescreen) while people in our own country go without adequate medical care, or face bankruptcy as a result of accessing high-priced treatment.

I'm willing to acknowledge that the proposed health care bills are far from perfect. I'm greatly disappointed that a public option was scrapped. I don't like the special favors and pork it contains. I especially dislike the fact that the insurance companies are winners in this. Still, it's a small step in the right direction. It's a beginning; a place to start with much room for improvement.

I'm also willing to acknowledge that others see things differently than I do. I actually understand some of the arguments because I haven't always seen things the way I do now. If I step way back and look at things in a simply pragmatic, impersonal way, I can see some of the other side's points. However, as I get older I find myself more interested in the individual stories. Stories like that of the little girl in the picture above. And as I read my Bible, focusing especially on the words of Jesus, I am convicted by the admonishments to care for one another, love our neighbors, bear one another's burdens, etc. I just don't see anything about how we should be on guard against sharing our blessings with the less fortunate. Yes, I do understand the interpretation that those actions should be individual and not a function of government. However, in America, WE THE PEOPLE are the government. That's my opinion, and one I've arrived at following a slow, careful and sometimes painful re-evaluation of everything I thought I knew and believed. I don't expect others to agree but I do expect those who know and love me to refrain from name-calling. I'm not stupid. I'm not ignorant. And no, I'm not evil. I love my country and I care about others. It's as simple as that.

If you'd like to know more about the little girl in the photo above and how you might help, my daughter has written a blog post with more information. You may read it here.



Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Cus-Cus said...

Well said.

Cherie said...

Amen, sister.

Lisa Sharp said...

Amen! I think the current health care bill shouldn't pass because they took out everything that would help. Forcing people to have insurance but having no free or at least SUPER SUPER cheap option is going to destroy families living paycheck to paycheck, they can't wait for the tax refunds, they will be in huge debt by then. I have to agree with Howard Dean that this bill won't help. Sadly they need to start over or something. Why the hell everyone can't work together and at least pass something that keeps the insurance companies from screwing people over (Republicans said they were fine with this!) I don't get! That would be a huge step forward.

I'm worried about my insurance as it may go up again and it just did this past year. Blue Cross is raising rates on everyone right now. These companies are monopolys!

Anyway yeah we are pretty evil mom. Those of us that spend much of our lives volunteering and living our lives in a way that is better for other people and the planet. Sounds pretty evil to me. Just look at what is on our schedule for today, going to the recycling coalition meeting were we are not only volunteers but we pay a small yearly fee! PURE EVIL!!

If this is evil then I don't want to be good.

mommy22ss said...

I totally agree! Thank you for expressing the way I feel so eloquently.

nitrile gloves said...

Keep working, great job! I honestly appreciate your time that you have put to write this post.

Lisa Sharp said...

My evil mom, you have an award on my page.

Deanna said...

I appreciate the comments I've received on this post here, on Facebook and privately. If I'm evil, atleast I'm in good company. :)