Monday, January 18, 2010

Mental Illness?

Ah, now I see. I've just about gotten used to certain people referring to those of us with more progressive ideas as "idiots", "stupid", "ignorant", and even "evil". Recently, however, I was rather surprised to find the term "mentally ill" used to describe liberals. That just seemed so bizarre.

Then, while writing the last blog post, I went to the World Net Daily site in order to get the link for my post and voila! There it was. WND is featuring a book for sale on its site titled "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness". And WND's headline for this? "Top Shrink: Leftists Are Mentally Ill".

I have a degree in nursing and during my studies I took several courses in psychology. Granted, it's been quite awhile but I honestly don't recall anything about progressive ideology being a sign of mental illness. I do, however, remember this:

Paranoia: Persistent persecutory delusions or delusional jealousy. This disorder usually occurs in middle or late adult life and may be chronic. Often includes resentment and anger that may lead to violence. These patients rarely seek medical attention. They are brought for care by associates or relatives. (Paraphrased from Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary)








Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Captain Dave said...

When Glenn Beck demonizes the media, does he know he is talking about his own network.

Rosalyn said...

I laughed so hard when I read this! I have enough hours in Psych for 3 degrees if I bothered to get the rest of the stuff that goes with it, and I PROMISE that progressive ideas do not equate mental illness! And yes, Paranoia is often a good description of the far right. But you know, I can't get a break with anyone. I'm a fiscal conservative, from the standpoint that I believe that every able minded and bodied person should hold down a job and pay taxes. Taxes that should go to maintain our roads and our military (to be used when we as a nation are truly and directly threatened by another power, or to help another nation, ie Haiti) I would prefer that faith based organizations would live up to what they say they believe and be the ones that care for the poor and mentally ill and disabled and elderly, but since that is not going to happen, I am more than willing to pay my fair share (oh wait, I'm one of THOSE now...but I DID pay taxes!) to care for those who can't care for themselves. So, I think that alone makes me not just a liberal, but a social progressive. And by and large I want the government to otherwise stay the hell out of my business. Oh, that makes me a conservative. So...where is a conservative, liberal, progressive supposed to go?? And why do I make both sides unhappy??? What I want is fricking common sense and decency. How hard is that????

Deanna said...

"I want the government to otherwise stay the hell out of my business." = Libertarian (I lean that way, myself.) The problem with us, Roz, is that we don't fit neatly in any box. That's 'cuz we're curvy. ;)