Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Green Police

Did you see this Audi commercial during the Super Bowl?



I thought it was brilliant satire. Even though I'm a self-avowed "greenie" I still have a sense of humor and the ability to laugh at myself. Apparently those are not universal traits. The blogosphere and Twitter-world are ablaze with anti-environmentalist rhetoric and the nonsensical notion that this commercial is a foreshadowing of things to come as the "Greenstapo" takes over.

As I read comments on some right-wing blogs, I was struck by the level of anger and ignorance. I can't help but think of the saying "cutting off your nose to spite your face" when I read about people who purposely turn on all their lights during Earth Hour, or buy gas hogs they don't need because they are "making a statement" against green cars, or any number of other actions done solely to piss off those of us who care about the environment in which we live. One guy said that the Audi commercial annoyed him so much that he was going to take the several bags of aluminum cans he had in his garage to recycle and throw them in the trash. Another said that despite the fact that the Audi is a beautifully engineered vehicle that would save him money on fuel, the very fact that it might make him "look green" was a disincentive to its purchase. That is just brilliant. You know, even a dog will try to avoid soiling his home. It's a shame that some people refuse to acknowledge that their actions are contributing to an unhealthy environment. Promoting their narrow political agenda is so important that they refuse to participate in simple actions which would actually benefit them.

You can read more about this on my daughter's blog, Retro Housewife Goes Green.



Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Lisa Sharp said...

Great post mom and the dog comment cracked me up! I'm going to add the link to my post.

sharon said...

even hamsters pee in the opposite corner of the cage from their food and away from all play things and sleeping places. They are stupid compared to dogs but they don't have it in for themselves. As so many of the people you are talking about do.

When people I know brag about their consumption, I stop caring about them. Even if it wasn't ruining the planet, our excess contributes to worldwide poverty. Jesus certainly had a lot to say about that!

Deanna said...

Lisa: Thanks for the link. And we know that is true about dogs. Why should people want to be less wise?

Sharon: I just don't get that bragging about consumption thing. I have actually heard relatives make comments indicating that they are proud of using all sorts of disposable items. It's one thing to do it for convenience but another to be proud of it.

Daphne said...

Nicely written. It's inconceivable to me that the anti-greenies really don't get that they live here too.

Deanna said...

Daphne, I'm woefully behind in checking out the blogs of my commenters so I just got a chance to look at yours. Very humorous. :) I'm now following you on Twitter.