Thursday, February 11, 2010

One more time, slowly, with sock puppets?

Okay, people. Listen carefully. Climate and weather are two entirely different things. Despite Oklahoma Senator Jim Inhofe's oil industry-funded claims to the contrary, snowstorms (in winter, of all things!) do not disprove the science of climate change. And building an igloo which you then dedicate as "Al Gore's New Home" doesn't make you clever.




Hannity's claim that "global temperatures continue to plummet" despite the fact that the year 2009 ranks in the top ten warmest years since the beginning of instrumental climate records and that the 2000-2009 decade is the warmest on record doesn't make it true.


Neil Cavuto
, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and others continue to put their ignorance and/or willful partisanship on display by ignoring, distorting or simply lying about the science behind climate change. It's reasonable to question how much influence human activity has on the changes we are seeing but to deny those changes are taking place or to claim that a big snowstorm in February means climate change is a hoax is asinine.

Bill Nye is used to explaining scientific subjects to children so perhaps this will help:




So, repeat after me: Weather is not climate; climate is not weather.




Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Unfortunately, no matter how simply you explain it, there will still be people who won't believe it. The scientists who presented false evidence really hurt the cause. My husband, for one, refuses to believe in it because of that scandal. (It doesn't help that he's a Michael Savage disciple and Savage doesn't believe in it.)

Okie Book Woman said...

Hi, Deanna. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I just had to come over and see what you're all about. You and my husband share similar opinions. He also recently wrote about Wiley Drake's prayer for Obama and Inhofe's global warming nonsense on his blog, lobojosden.blogspot.com. You might want to take a look at it. It's good to see that there are other Oklahomans who share our thoughts! (I think we're also well-groomed hippies.) Good to "meet" you. Come back to visit my blog anytime.

Mrs. Money said...

Ugh- so I said something about this at work the other day and a couple of the women scoffed at me. They were like "uh, yeah, global warming is real" *eyeroll*

I wanted to kick them. It makes me so mad when people act like that!

drlobojo said...

I once took a group of kids hiking in the California Sierras. A group of them took a wrong fork on the trail. When i caught up with them they were voting about where they were on the map. Although they were wildly wrong, but when I told them where they really were they argued with me.

Democracy is of no use, unless at least one of you can read a map. They had the majority, but were lost and would have stayed that way.

The climate change deniers can't be led to the correct path. We simply have to leave them to their own fates. As for those that chose to follow them, so be it.

Lisa Sharp said...

It's dark so the sun must not be real! :)

Deanna said...

Amanda: That scandal (even though it was greatly overblown by the media) really served to convince some people that it was all a hoax. This is what they wanted to believe anyway so it will be virtually impossible to convince them otherwise.

Okie Book Woman: I did check out your husband's blog and we are now Facebook friends. As you say, it's nice to find fellow-Oklahomans with progressive ideas.

Mrs. Money: I just got a chance to check out your blog. I love the climate change cartoon you have on the 19th. I just might have to share that one, myself. ;)

drlobogo: Good analogy. I just wish that the actions of the deniers didn't still affect the rest of us.

Lisa: I know! Every night I panic, thinking the sun has disappeared. ;)