Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happy 40th Earth Day!...




Today is the 40th anniversary of the first Earth Day. In those 40 years, smog levels nationwide have dropped by about a quarter, lead levels in the air are down 90% and many formerly polluted waters have been cleaned up. We've made some important strides in cleaning up our act but we still have a very long way to go. Many of the issues we face aren't as visible as the heavy smog which used to choke the sky of so many American cities. The very fact that we've achieved some success in our efforts means some people fail to recognize the seriousness of the issues we still face. It's one thing to convince people that the thick, brown smog I remember as a child growing up in Southern California needs to be addressed. You can see smog and feel the ache in your lungs when you breathe it. But something like climate change is a little (okay, a LOT) harder to keep in the forefront of people's minds, or even convince people is occurring in the first place.

Still, we've demonstrated our ability to clean up our messes and I remain hopeful that we can and will continue on that path. So, in honor of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, I'd like to share a few inspiring songs.








And if you'd like to hear more, click here.



Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

drlobojo said...

Well now woman, I was reveiwing your old blog post and notice that "Gramps" was mailing letters from Grandfield, Oklahoma to Davidson in 1944. Note that my mother's family is four generation deep in Davidson and my dad's family is the same in Grandfield.
Given your husbands family name means you all are much closer kin than I had thought. Sorry about that.
I graduated Grandfield High in 1963.

Deanna said...

I'm a little confused. Okay, a lot. Are you saying you are related to Piercys? Even so, his family hasn't ever lived in Oklahoma. They were in California and before that in Illinois.

drlobojo said...

About 25 years or so ago, I drove my mother out to my sisters so she could attend her own 70th birthday. Now mom was a talker. She was very distracting. So we pulled up to my sisters house, went in through the open garage and into the kitchen and was putting food in the refrigerator when these strangers asked us what we thought we were doing.

Yep, in the ticky tacky sub-burbs where many houses look alike I had stopped a block short of my sisters's house and wandered into someone else's indentical kitchen.

My mom's long gone so I can't blame her for the fact that I posted my comments on the wrong blog.

We ain't kin to you at all. Aren't you glad now.

Deanna said...

I'd be proud to call you kin but thanks for clearing that up in such an entertaining fashion. Just think, there is probably a family out there retelling the story at every holiday about the crazy folks they found stocking their refrigerator years ago.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.