Friday, May 7, 2010

Baby Beluga

My kids used to love to listen to this:




And I'll tell you a little secret - I loved it, too. Raffi was the only children's music I could stand. I guess part of it was that I appreciated the message behind the music. My kids are in their 20s and I've lost track of current kid stuff. Do kids still listen to Raffi? Or are they more interested in Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber? Gosh, I hope not. My kids say that growing up listening to and watching Raffi, Captain Planet and Bill Nye, as well as being read books such as Dr. Suess's "The Lorax" and Silverstein's "The Giving Tree" helped make them aware of and sensitive toward the environment and the role they play in taking care of it.

I hope that many others of their generation grew up being taught the same values because they are the ones who will have to take a stand and try to fix our mistakes. My generation and those just slightly older have failed miserably, despite what had looked to be the beginning of real change in the late 60s and early 70s. Unfortunately, most of us simply went on to get jobs, raise families and get totally caught up in the materialistic rat race with barely a backward glance at the social and ecological awareness movements many had been a part of in their youth. We forgot about the long lines for gasoline during the oil embargo back in the mid 70s and the subsequent push for more fuel efficient vehicles when we bought gas-guzzling SUVs to haul our 2.2 children around to their activities. We forgot about energy efficiency and solar power when we built our large homes with a bedroom and bathroom for each kid, two living areas and an office so dad could work some more when he got home each night. And we exchanged our "Save the Whale" shirts for trendy clothes made in China.

I don't know if it's because of the blogs I read and the Facebook groups I've joined or if true change is afoot but I'm hoping it's the latter. I am seeing a resurgence of some of the same social awareness and environmentalism that characterized the back-to-the-land movement of the early 70s. People seem to be re-evaluating their lifestyles and the impact they have on other people and the environment. They are questioning the long-held notions of what *success* means and wondering if less ladder-climbing and a simpler lifestyle might not actually equal a better quality of life and more happiness. And some are pulling out their old "Save the Whale" t-shirts and becoming activists for causes they care about.

You may or may not be aware that an almost 25 year ban on commercial whaling is in danger of being overturned in the near future. This absolutely astounds me. What can we be thinking?

You can read more about this important issue here. After you read it, scroll down and click on the "Take Action" line in order to tell President Obama not to overturn the commercial whaling ban. Baby Beluga is counting on you.




Click above for more information and how you can help.

No comments: