Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fire that man!

Did you hear about the Arkansas school board member who was less than happy about Spirit Day, the day on which people all around the country donned purple in memory of LGBT students who were bullied or had committed suicide?  He posted the following on his Facebook page:

"Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers committed suicide. The only way I'm wearin' it for them is if they all commit suicide. I can't believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed themselves because of their sin."

And this:

"Being a fag doesn't give you the right to ruin the rest of our lives. If you get easily offended by being called a fag then don't tell anyone you are a fag. Keep that shit to yourself. It pisses me off though that we make a special purple fag day for them. I like that fags cant procreate. I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other aids and die."


That's right.  Clint McCance, school board member of the Midland School District in Arkansas wrote those statements on Facebook.  I'm not sure there's a word to adequately describe this man but despicable comes to mind, as well as a few other words I don't generally use.  I don't care what one's personal beliefs are about homosexuality, to spout such hateful, vile rhetoric should be grounds for immediate dismissal.

I can only hope this poor excuse for a human being is referring to future children (which I pray he never has) and isn't already a father when he goes on to write this:

"I would disown my kids if they were gay.  They will not be welcome in my home or in my vicinity.  I will absolutely run them off.  Of course my kids will know better.  My kids will have solid christian beliefs."

Right.  Because that's just the sort of thing Jesus taught and the example he set for his followers.  I am sick and tired of people like Mr. McCance who give Christianity as a whole a bad name.   We are supposed to share the love of Christ with the world, not spew hatred and bigotry.  People like McCance serve only to drive others away from God and I'm pretty certain they will answer for that someday. 





Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Miz said...

Agreed wholeheartedly. While I am not a practising Christian anymore, I have always believed at it's core it is a beautiful religion. Too many people's bias, hatred and bigotry have clouded over it and dirty the pure idea to love thy neighbour.

I believe Jesus existed, as a holy man, and I believe he would be sickened at the evil deeds and hateful words these people do and say, that they stick his name on it and call it faith.

Faith is not negative. Faith means to have hope, to trust in the goodness of something you try to understand and live your life by. It is not pious to hate.

crazyladyx5 said...

I may not agree with that choice of a lifestyle, but that doesn't meant I have to be mean and hateful.

Jesus went to the taxpayers house, a HUGE NO-NO!!

You can love the person, and not the sin.
He should be let go immediately!! Bible belt or NOT!!