Friday, December 31, 2010

A few New Year quotes

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
- T.S. Eliot

The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul and a new nose; new feet, a new backbone, new ears, and new eyes. Unless a particular man made New Year resolutions, he would make no resolutions. Unless a man starts afresh about things, he will certainly do nothing effective.
- G.K. Chesterton

 New Year's Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.
- Mark Twain

 One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: 
To rise above the little things.
- John Burroughs

We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential.
- Ellen Goodman

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling
or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living
to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my
heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk
my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to
the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on
as fruit." ~~ by Dawn Markova

In my version of things, the new year would begin not with drunken abandonment but with burning: great bonfires up and down the beach, into which people would toss the detritus of the old year-relics of habitual thought and spiritual materialism. Then there would be food cooking over flame: meats and cabbages, potatoes and corn, as we nourished ourselves with the new emptiness, and, finally drinking and dancing as high tide came in, until every bonfire had been drenched by a wave.

~ Gretel Ehrlich
 

And now for some inspiration: 






Bookmark and Share


3 comments:

Donna said...

Hey Deanna! Just wanted you to know, while I was searching for new Years quotes, your blog, this post, came up on the first page of my search : ) I am constantly searching for quotes, I can spend hours surfing the net and finding different quote sites, and I have never come across someone I knew before : ) Just thought it might make you happy to know your blog came up on the first page! Happy New year! (And yes I know you posted this last year ; )

Donna said...

Hey Deanna! Just wanted you to know, while I was searching for new Years quotes, your blog, this post, came up on the first page of my search : ) I am constantly searching for quotes, I can spend hours surfing the net and finding different quote sites, and I have never come across someone I knew before : ) Just thought it might make you happy to know your blog came up on the first page! Happy New year! (And yes I know you posted this last year ; )

Deanna said...

Hey, that's cool! Thanks for telling me. Happy New Year!