Thursday, February 17, 2011

Instant potato garden

 I started The Well-Groomed Hippie as a place where I can share some of my "counter-cultural" thoughts and interests, some of which might not appeal to my readers at Tea With Dee.  I never intended for politics to be the primary focus but it seems there is so much going on that gets me fired up and that's a lot of what I've posted here.  That's all well and good, and I do plan to continue sharing political information and my thoughts on important issues.  However, I want to expand the focus here. 

Today is one of those gorgeous days here in Oklahoma which has me dreaming of spring.  As I went out to the chicken coop this morning I noticed tiny little patches of grass coming up, as well as some bulbs.  I've got a stack of gardening/homesteading magazines sitting out to look through and I think I'm going to order some seeds in the next few days. 

I saw the following video on Facebook this morning and I am definitely going to give this a try.  Last night David picked up my co-op order (thanks, honey!) which included two 5 lb. bags of organic potatoes.  I'm going to set aside some to plant.  Have you ever tried this method?:



Do you plant a garden?  If so, I'd love to hear about it.  If you blog about gardening or anything homestead-related, leave me a comment with a link and I'll visit your blog. 

2 comments:

Miz said...

This is really interesting! I've always wanted to see if I could successful grow my own potatoes, but as I live in the middle of the city and have no outdoor space, I think I'll have to ask my friend nicely if I can use some space in his garden!

Deanna said...

I hope your friend will share a bit of space with you. If you lived nearby I would. :)