Tuesday, April 5, 2011

And so it begins...



Am I satisfied with everything President Obama has done so far?  Of course not.  I don't personally know any liberals/progressives who are.  For one thing, I think he has given in to the Republicans way too much.

For instance:

  • I'm pleased that the health care bill was passed but I'm disappointed that there was no public option (and single-payer would have been even better).  
  • I'm hugely disappointed that the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy were extended.
  • Guantanamo is still open.
  • While we are wrapping things up in Iraq, that's not the case in Afghanistan.  And now we are involved in Libya. Sigh...
However, President Obama has a pretty impressive list of accomplishments for his first couple of years in office:

  • The passing of universal health care.  While not exactly what I'd like to ultimately see, it was a HUGE step in the right direction and a very impressive accomplishment.
  • Financial industry reform.  Like health care, it could be better but it's a start.
  • Passed legislation to curb greenhouse gases and improve the environment.
  • Nuclear (thank GOD he knows how to pronounce that word!) non-proliferation agreement.
  • The repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.
  • Improved our image abroad.
It's a good start but there is so much more work to be done.  I intend to keep sharing information, voicing my opinions, signing petitions, writing and calling my representatives and attending rallies.  I suppose one of the first things I should do is change my voter registration.  If it were a reasonable option in Oklahoma, I would register Independent.  But that choice would mean I could not vote in any primaries and I'm not willing to do that.  Guess my days as a registered Republican will soon end.

No comments: