Saturday, June 11, 2011

Do you call yourself a Christian?

My friend, Cherie shared this on her blog and as I watched all I could think was that this avowed atheist has a better understanding of Christianity than a lot of Christians I know.  

*Language warning:


I hope you'll watch the video but here are some highlights:

"Jesus lays on that hippie stuff pretty thick.  He has lines like, "Do not repay evil with evil." and "Do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you."  Really, it's in that book you hold up when you scream at gay people."


"Nonviolence was kind of Jesus' trademark...to not follow that part of it is like joining Greenpeace and hating whales."


"There's interpreting and then there's just ignoring."


"If you ignore every single thing Jesus commanded you to do you're not a Christian.  You're just auditing.  You're not Christ's followers; you're just fans."


"And if you believe the earth was given to you to kick ass on while gloating, you're not really a Christian.  You're a Texan." (*I'd have to add, "or an Oklahoman".)



No comments: