Saturday, October 8, 2011

Foolish Consistency

I have no idea why certain things really stick with you but I will never forget a quote that my junior high school gifted class teacher shared with us oh, so many years ago:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, 
adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

I can't really wrap my head around the idea that anyone believes they have everything figured out, has always had it figured out, and has no plans for change or growth in the future. But then, some are afraid of change and of admitting they might have been wrong in the past. 

"Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. 
But certainty is an absurd one."
~Voltaire~


Personally, I like to keep an open-mind. The older I get, the more I realize that I don't have it all figured out and I'm okay with that. My views on many subjects have changed over the years as my life experience has broadened and I surely hope there are more changes to come.

"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, 
and breeds reptiles of the mind."
~William Blake~


"If you never change your mind, why have one?"
~Edward de Bono~

2 comments:

Cherie said...

Deanna, I think you zeroed in on why some people think they have it all figured out - they lack a broad life experiences. I see so many people who believe their little corner of the world is the center of the universe and that is why they cannot get beyond their limited world view.

Deanna said...

It does seem to be the case with many I know. The thing is, with such broad access to the world via the internet, you'd think this wouldn't be as much of an issue anymore.