Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Occupy New Orleans!

Hopefully by now you are aware of the Occupy Wall Street protest and the fact that the movement has spread to cities all over the country. There was initially a media blackout but it is finally being acknowledged and reported on.

When my friend, Roz, and I were in New Orleans last week, we heard there was an Occupy New Orleans planning meeting taking place. Of course we had to check it out. It was well underway when we arrived and we didn't stay long (had other plans) but I did snap a couple of photos:


I've heard the protesters referred to as a "mob". Does that group look like a mob to you? As I mentioned to my friend, I fully expected a chorus of Kumbaya to break out at some point.


This is one of my favorite signs of the movement. I truly believe that one of the biggest mistakes we've made in a long time is to grant corporations the same status as people.

It will be interesting to see how this movement progresses. I just hope it remains a grass-roots movement of the people.

No comments: