Friday, October 28, 2011

Occupy your town

This afternoon my daughter and I attended a local Occupy event in our town. It was set up and hosted by students at our local university. We were few in number but mighty in spirit. 






I had a doctor's appointment and could only stay about 20 minutes but Lisa stayed the rest of the time. Unfortunately I missed the part where a couple of guys showed up with guitars and played Beatles tunes.

There were a few snarky comments, like the guy who told a college professor protesting with us that if she didn't think wages were high enough she should get a second job. He then turned into the credit union across the street, missing the edge of the driveway and running up over the curb. We did have a bit of a chuckle over that one. But for the most part, we were met with smiles, waves, thumbs up, and peace signs.

I don't yet know if there will be more demonstrations here. I hope so. Surprisingly, there are still many people who don't know what Occupy Wall Street is all about. I'm trying to do my part to educate folks and I will have more information to share in the days (and weeks?) to come. But right now? I have to dress up like a wench and go to what is certain to be the best Halloween party in town.

No comments: