Wednesday, April 4, 2012

We still have work to do...

Forty-four years ago today, Martin Luther King, Jr. was murdered in Memphis, Tennessee. He was only 39 years old and yet his non-violent efforts to end racial segregation and discrimination earned him a Nobel Peace Prize, the youngest to receive such an honor.

I sometimes find myself wondering what he would think of race relations in 2012. Would he be happy with the progress we've made since the early days of the Civil Rights Movement or would he wonder why racism is even still an issue more than four decades later? Because despite what some would have us believe, racism is alive and well in the United States.

I keep starting to work on a post about racism, particularly in terms of what I see in my own community, but get overwhelmed by the topic. There's so much to say and I just don't know where to start. I intend to keep at it, though, because it's such an important topic. But for today I think it's enough to be reminded of the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and what an important example he provided for us all.

No comments: