We leave first thing in the morning for New Orleans and don't return until November 5th. That means this is my last opportunity for this topic before the elections. It's 11 p.m. and we have to be up before 6 so I will keep this short and sweet.
President Obama's achievements:
- Affordable Care Act - I'd have preferred a single payer system and this plan still needs some adjusting but it is a HUGE step in the right direction.
- Stopped an economic disaster that was spiraling toward another depression
- Ended "Don't Ask Don't Tell"
- Ended the Iraq war
- Killed Osama Bin Laden and eliminated several other Al-Qaeda leaders
- Signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
- Turned around the U.S. auto industry
- Improved our image abroad
- Boosted fuel efficiency standards
- Hasn't shut down Gitmo yet.
- Appointed former Monsanto VP and lobbyist as head of FDA
- Hasn't pushed hard enough on green energy and climate change legislation
- Loosened gun laws to allow them to be carried in national parks
And then there are a number of things he's tried to accomplish but the G.O.P. has made a determined effort to block him at every turn. The decision to do so was made at a private dinner the same day Obama was inaugurated, without even a pretense of working together to do what is best for our nation.
I've got my fingers crossed for another term. And perhaps we can obtain some magic pixie dust to sprinkle over every member of Congress which will turn each and every one into kind, intelligent, compassionate, hard-working, far-sighted people with a willingness to compromise and work together to make the nation all that it is capable of. Okay, so I'm an optimist - quit laughing...