Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday B.S. Roundup ~ April 5, 2013

Well, here we are again. It's Friday so that means it's time for the B.S. Roundup. Let's see what we have this week.

1. Gas Boycott
This one gets recycled every year. The flaws in logic were obvious to me the first time I saw it making the rounds as an email forward years ago and yet somehow it continues to remain popular. You can read all about why it would have no effect in the link below but in short, merely buying the same amount of gas you'd normally buy but just on a different day is pointless.

Snopes: Gas Boycott

2. Obama Phones
Another oldie that won't die. No, the Obama administration did not create a program to provide free cell phones and service to welfare recipients. The FCC, back in 1984 during the Reagan administration, created the Lifeline program to provide basic phone service to qualified recipients. You can read the details in the links below.

Snopes
Politifact 

3. PLU Code Numbers
This is one I was asked to address but in some ways it really doesn't fit the b.s. label. Still, it's making the rounds and it's worth a bit of clarification. PLU (Price Look Up) codes are the five-digit codes on produce labels. They do provide information but they are for the convenience of suppliers and grocers, not customers. Many are concerned about genetically modified produce and that is what has prompted the meme being shared which states that you can tell if produce is GMO if the first number on the PLU is an 8. That is actually true in the sense that if you see a code that starts with 8 the product is a GMO. However, the reverse cannot be said. In other words, just because you don't see a code sticker starting with 8 doesn't mean the product is not GMO. As of this time, there is no requirement in the United States for producers to label GMO products. Personally, I hope that changes as I believe consumers have the right to know what is in the food we purchase. But for now, there are better ways to determine the presence of GMOs than PLU labels.

Snopes


Okay, hippies, go forth and share the truth. And if you have any bullshit you'd like me to research and address here, leave me a comment, send me an email or message me on The Well-Groomed Hippie Facebook page.



2 comments:

Lesa McMahon said...

Good ones. I always wondered about that GMO-label-produce thingy. I never paid too much attention to it because I buy what I can afford, no matter what that sticker says.

Deanna said...

I try to focus on buying the organic version of the "dirty dozen". Our access to organics here in our little town is limited, though.