Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Moral Roots of Liberals and Conservatives

This is a very interesting TED talk about which moral values liberals and conservatives honor most. Even though I thought I was a conservative most of my life, this helped me see why that really wasn't a comfortable fit for me.

I chuckled over the Applebee's comment because on my recent drive to California with my conservative parents we ate dinner at Cracker Barrel restaurants both nights on the road. I prefer off-the-beaten-track, independent restaurants but I respect my parents and I'm adult enough to go along with their wishes. Even if it meant two nights in a row at a Cracker Barrel.

I encourage you to watch this. Pay attention to what he says about teams toward the beginning of the talk. I wish he had expounded on that a bit more because I think that sports analogy is quite indicative of our current political climate and isn't at all helpful when it comes to rational discussion of the issues facing our nation. After you watch this, please leave me a comment and tell me what you think. Do you agree? What can we learn from this?




No comments: