Saturday, September 21, 2013

Saturday B.S. Roundup ~ September 21, 2013

Updated: 9/25/13 (see bottom of post)

I think I've made an error in judgement. I finally had my fill of a few folks on Facebook who apparently thought there was a contest to see who could post the most false information in the form of memes. Since these people weren't really friends in the true sense of the word (some were former high school classmates I haven't seen in over 30 years) I decided to "release them into the wild", as it were.

So what's the problem, you ask? Well, these were the people I could usually count on to provide me with material for my B.S. Roundup posts. While I don't agree politically with all my Facebook friends, most of the ones I have left don't have quite the gullibility factor and I'm not seeing quite as much bullshit in my feed. While that makes for a more pleasant Facebook experience it does leave me lacking inspiration for this blog series.

Oh, there have been a few. Like the one claiming that President Obama failed to salute the flag at a ceremony held at the Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C.  This fits with the beloved narrative that President Obama is anti-American but once again, this story isn't true. The photo being circulated shows Obama with his hands at his sides while others are saluting. The only thing is, as video of the event clearly demonstrates, this didn't take place during the playing of our National Anthem but rather during the playing of "Hail to the Chief". Protocol during the playing of "Hail to the Chief" calls for military to salute and others to place their hands over their hearts. It would be totally uncool for Obama to salute himself. So this is just another silly falsehood being shared by those who dislike this president and don't know how to use Google.

Snopes: Flagging Interest

Since there hasn't been much else worth sharing, how about something really fun? I can't recall how I stumbled upon this but did you know that "SOMETHING BIG!!!" is going to happen in FEMA Region III (includes  DC, DE, MD, PA, VA, WV) October 1st? Oh,  yes. We don't know what exactly but it will probably involve martial law (or as some like to spell it - marshall law), FEMA camps, asteroids, a government-controlled hurricane, the release of a virus, and/or WWIII:

FEMA Preparing For The Worst In Region 3

I usually don't recommend reading comments but these really shouldn't be missed. A few folks try to interject a bit of reason but they are quickly shut down as "sheeple". Now, I suppose it's possible that our government is planning some nefarious deed in Region 3 in a little over a week. But I'm going to go out on a limb and call this one complete and utter bullshit. By the way, October 1st is the beginning of the government's fiscal year. Keep that little fact in mind when you read the story.

Update: Well, it appears I beat Snopes to it. They have now covered the FEMA Region 3 craziness.
Snopes: FEMA Region 3

And I found this:
Major Disaster in FEMA Region III: Fact or Elaborate Hoax?

Now go forth and share the truth!


                                                                                             ~GTS: Google That Shit~

5 comments:

jaci said...

I'll loan you some of my FaceBook friends, if you'd like. There's lots of BS fodder amongst them. :)

glena said...

I live in Region 3. I can confirm from well trusted and reliable source that on Oct 01, my granddaughter turns 7. On October 5, in this same Region there will be Llamas, zebras, ponies, miniature cows and other wild species invading my yard. Along with tents and bounce house, flamingos and hedgehogs for croquet.

Many a curious thing will be happening for sure! One might even call it a wonderland of chaos and confusion.

This has been confirmed folks. Its not a rumor.

glena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deanna said...

Jaci: That is ever so kind of you. I have a better idea, though. You can just forward me a few of the better examples of BS and keep your friends.

Deanna said...

Glena: That sounds terrifying. Ha!