Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday B.S. Roundup ~ October 5, 2013

Was it really just two weeks ago that I was worrying about no longer having much b.s. in my Facebook feed? Oh, how quickly things can change. Here are the ones I've already debunked on Facebook this week, all in one handy post. Feel free to share.

1. Congressional Pension Plan


I actually covered this way back in March but I'll bet I saw it at least a dozen times this week. The interesting thing is that political persuasion in no way predicted who posted it. That's exceedingly rare. So, let's go over this again. Members of Congress do not continue to receive their salary for life. 


2. Microchips!


Yet another I've already covered but with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act insurance exchanges this week, some are dusting it off and passing it around again. It wasn't even remotely true before and it still isn't. 


3. Obamacare Warning!

Here's a real doozy:


Here's the claim:

"I actually made it through this morning at 8:00 A.M. I have a preexisting condition (Type 1 Diabetes) and my income base was 45K-55K annually I chose tier 2 ‘Silver Plan’ and my monthly premiums came out to $597.00 with $13,988 yearly deductible!!! There is NO POSSIBLE way that I can afford this so I ‘opt-out’ and chose to continue along with no insurance. I received an email tonight at 5:00 P.M. informing me that my fine would be $4,037 and could be attached to my yearly income tax return. Then you make it to the ‘REPERCUSSIONS PORTION’ for ‘non-payment’ of yearly fine. First, your drivers license will be suspended until paid, and if you go 24 consecutive months with ‘Non-Payment’ and you happen to be a home owner, you will have a federal tax lien placed on your home. You can agree to give your bank information so that they can easy ‘Automatically withdraw’ your ‘penalties’ weekly, bi-weekly or monthly! This by no means is ‘Free’ or even ‘Affordable’."

The first time I saw it I knew it was crazy nonsense. You see, I've been reading about the AFA ever since it was first proposed. I'm no expert but I've got a pretty good sense of how it works. I don't know who this "Will Sheehan" is or what his motivation, but this was made up out of whole cloth. When I first began seeing it none of the debunking sites had addressed it yet. They have now.

Politifact

~~~~~

If you run across anything you want me to check out, leave me a comment. 

Now go forth and share the truth!

                                                                                                                                        ~GTS: Google That Shit~



No comments: